Concourse – Empire State Plaza

Adirondack Guideboat

The Adirondack guideboat was designed in the early 19th century for use by professional guides escorting paying hunters or fishermen from New York City on the various lakes, rivers and streams of the Adirondack region. The boat’s light weight made it easy for a lone guide to carry the craft over the unimproved roads and trails of the Adirondacks. Though similar in appearance to a canoe, the guideboat actually uses pinned oars for propulsion.
This restored Adirondack Guideboat comes from the Camp Iroquois, one of the Adirondacks’ many Great Camps.

New York State Museum Collection

Pierce-Arrow Type 43

This 1931 seven-passenger sedan was manufactured by the Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company in Buffalo, New York. It is one of 160 Type 43 to be produced and cost $2,995 at the time of purchase ($42,900 in 2010).

The company, which was active from 1903 to 1938, specialized in high-end luxury cars like the Type 43. Pierce-Arrow's refusal to produce a lower-end car forced the company to close its doors in 1938 during the Great Depression.

New York State Museum Collection

1932 Packard Phaeton

This model 905 was purchased in 1932 by Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt for his use in Albany. When he was elected to the presidency, it became part of the state fleet. Though kept in running condition, it was rarely used after 1942 when Governor Thomas Dewey acquired a Cadillac. Governor Hugh Carey transported Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands in the Packard when they visited Albany in 1982.

New York State Museum Collection


The 1932 Packard Phaeton has been removed from the Concourse and now resides at the New York State Museum.


1924 Model TT "Runabout" Truck

First introduced in 1924 as sales of the Model T car began to decline, trucks such as this restored Model could be found on rural farms across upstate New York. The Runabout marked the first time that Ford Motor Company offered a factory-installed pickup bed truck.

New York State Museum Collection


1967 Lincoln Executive Limousine

This limousine was placed into service for the use of Governor Nelson Rockefeller on March 6, 1967. Rockefeller privately purchased an identical vehicle for his use while in New York City. A Lincoln Continental, it was lengthened by 34” and rear-facing seats were added to convert it into a limousine. Its amenities include air conditioning, radio, cassette player and television receiver, as well as a sliding window to provide privacy. The car was used by succeeding governors until 1988.

New York State Museum Collection


Peddler’s Wagon

This peddler’s wagon belonged to the tinware manufacturer James E. Snyder of Valatie, Columbia County. It is one of a number of wagons operated by the firm to sell its wares in the Hudson Valley during the 1890s.

New York State Museum Collection

Privacy Policy | Accessibility | Contact